Come for the atmosphere, stay for the amazing food
The History of the Snailbox
The Snailbox is a traditional restaurant and venue just off the N2. We’re often asked where it gets its name? The area where we are situated at Kilmoon was originally common ground, and in 1846, a man travelling on the road, by the name of James Clark (a hedge school teacher known locally as Jem, who carried his home on his back) decided to set up this home on this piece of land.
Over a period of time, he built a wall around his home, from local stone, which can still be seen on the premises to this day. As time went on the local landowners tried to have him removed from the commonage but failed. Eventually they took a court action against him, but the judge of the day likened Jem to snail - He carries his home on his back and wherever he decides to stop shall be his home!
The collection was started by a loyal customer and previous owner known as “Smythy”. One night he left his cap behind him. We refused to give it back to him and hung it on the ceiling… the cap collection began!